Child abuse is a serious criminal charge. If you are facing charges of child abuse you should consult with a Denver criminal defense attorney immediately.
Contact a Colorado criminal defense lawyer representing clients in Denver, CO today to schedule your initial consultation.
A person can be charged with child abuse if they put a child in any type of harmful or neglectful situation. The following acts or situations can constitute child abuse, but do not provide a complete list of situations in which a Colorado prosecutor may choose to prosecute a child abuse case.
- Acting in a way that leads to injuries.
- Placing a child in a situation that poses the risk of injury.
- Failing to provide adequate nutrition or medical care for a child.
- Punishing a child physically.
- Allowing a child to be present when drugs are used.
- Driving under the influence or while your ability is impaired to the slightest degree with a child in the car.
The severity of a child abuse charge depends upon the severity of the alleged harm. A child abuse charge can be anything from a low-level misdemeanor to a serious felony punishable by up to life in prison.
If you would like to schedule an initial consultation, contact a Colorado criminal defense attorney, we represent clients in Denver, Colorado, and surrounding area. The Savela Law Firm, P.C. Give us a call at (720) 821-1001 or complete our inquiry form.
As important as the potential punishment is the collateral consequences that can arise from a child abuse charge, specifically, a child abuse conviction can often weigh against you in a subsequent child custody case.
If you have been charged with child abuse an experienced Denver criminal defense lawyer is essential. Get in touch with experienced Denver child abuse defense attorney Jason Savela by calling (720) 821-1001.