- That the defendant,
- in the State of Colorado, at or about the date and place charged,
- without legal authority, and
- with the intent,
- to induce another person against that other person’s will to perform an act or refrain from performing a lawful act,
- made a substantial threat to confine or restrain, cause an economic hardship or bodily injury to, or damage the property or reputation of, the threatened person or another person, and
- threatened to cause the result[s] by means of chemical, biological, or harmful radioactive agents, weapons, or poison.
Contact a Colorado criminal defense lawyer representing clients in Boulder, CO today to schedule your initial consultation.
Aggravated extortion is a class 3 felony. The potential penalties include 4 to 12 years in prison with 5 years of mandatory parole and a fine of up to $750,000. Under certain circumstances aggravated extortion can also include the crime of violence sentencing making it punishable by 10 to 32 years in prison.
If you would like to schedule an initial consultation, contact a Colorado criminal defense attorney, we represent clients in Boulder, Colorado, and the surrounding area. The Savela Law Firm, P.C. Give us a call at (303) 856-5700 or complete our inquiry form.
Extortion typically requires a threat to be made to the person or property of the victim. It is not necessarily a threat to cause physical injury, it can just be a secret that would result in embarrassment or financial loss.
There are defenses to extortion that can be used to get the case either dismissed, reduced, or win an acquittal at trial. These include elemental defenses like the lack of a threat or absence of substantial threat, observation of coercion, or lack of ability to carry out the threat and the alleged victim’s knowledge.
If you have been charged with burglary an experienced Denver DUI attorney is essential. Get in touch with experienced Denver burglary defense attorneys Jason Savela and Ryan Dawson by filling out our online contact form or by calling (303) 856-5700.